The Open Source Film Digitization Platform
In November of 2014, a survey was sent to the Kinograph mailing list of over 700 people. The survey was focused on gauging interest in a smaller Kinograph built specifically for 8mm/Super8mm. Check out the results HERE
Forums Coming Early 2015
Due to increasing interest and a wide variety of "wishes" for the future of Kinograph, I've decided to build a forum where interested users can begin to exchange information. An official announcement will happen before the end of 2014.
Kinograph is an open source film scanner/telecine for digitizing all gauges of film. It currently supports 35mm and 16mm. 8mm is in active development.
Watch this short video for an introduction to the Kinograph and the philosophy behind its DIY roots.
Still have questions? Check our FAQ page.
Add us on Twitter and Facebook.
Kinograph fan Ernie Zahn of NPeaches
came to my studio to shoot a short piece on Kinograph. Thanks, Ernie!
Kinograph is a registered C corporation. We are currently seeking seed funding for development of a full line of products and services. Within the next year we hope to accomplish the following:
- Improve hardware designs with digital fabrication techniques including 3D printing, CNC part manufacturing with common materials, and readily available electronic components.
- Hire a software developer to create a cross-platform interface for controlling the machine and processing of imagery.
- Develop a kit of parts for the DIY Kinograph for sale.
- Develop a machine dedicated to small gauge (8mm/Super8mm) digitization (see Updates below).
- Hire a community manager to build relationships with individuals building DIY versions of the Kinograph.
- Design and build an industrial prototype capable of 4K+ capture at 24 fps or greater.
- Provide on-site scanning services, including cleaning and prep, scanning, and metadata/storage solutions. This service is fully customizeable and can include educational programs to aid fundraising for the host institution.
To become an investor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.